10 Development Plans of Gambia
West Africa Agriculture Industrial Program
• To stabilize food production, integration of agricultural industry, improvement of ecological environment, construction of smart agriculture, and improvement of the quality and safety of agricultural products
• To reduce imported foods, as the Gambia relies 85% on food imports, so it is necessary to build a more robust and modern agricultural production system. The national agriculture and animal husbandry has generated hundreds of millions of dollars with an average annual growth of more than 20%, and 30% increase of income for rural residents (average 8% annually), which can reduce food imports, and create a self-sufficient food ecology.
• To move forward the intergration of production capacity towards export trade. A total of 8 million metres of grain production will be built. Implementing strict protection, the production capacity of 30 billion kgs of grain will be effectively guaranteed. The total grain and animal husbandry will remain stable as the structure of major agricultural products will be optimized whereas the market supply and export capacity will be enhanced.
• To upgrade the agricultural industry. To complete building 30 agricultural industrial clusters, 100 agricultural towns and 1,000 ecological pastures.
• To refurbish the agricultural equipment. To improve the agricultural infrastructure and cultivate the land, the proportion standard of first-class fields accounts for more than 50%, the area of facility agriculture is over 4 million metres, and the number of newly-added agricultural machinery and equipment exceeds 50,000 sets. This comprehensive mechanization level of rice cultivation and harvest will reach over 75%. Desalination technologies and drilled wells will be conducted too.
• To promote recycling agriculture. The completion of modern ecological recycling agriculture will be based on national agricultural product quality and safety demonstration plan, resource utilization of livestock and poultry manure and comprehensive utilization of crop straw.
• To reduce pest and bacterial infections. The control of pests and diseases rate on crop yield is at 98%, 95% and 40% respectively. The usage of pesticides and fertilizers will also be decreased by 5% respectively while diseased animals will be disposed harmlessly. The rate will remain above 98% upon inspection to ensure quality assurance at all major agricultural products.
• To promote industrial integration and development. The agricultural structure is further optimized to integrate rural tourism as well. 50 demonstration agricultural industrial chains will be built, in aiming an output value of exceeding 10 billion yuan from leisure and sightseeing agriculture market.
(Image taken online, for reference only)